Wednesday 9 March 2011

Learning English Is Fun

Do you know what makes English an influential language nowadays? I may not know the exact answer but in my opinion, one of the reasons is because English language is widely used by people all over the world. I still remember when I was a kid, my father used to remind me to use English especially when communicating with people abroad. Even though I was lacking of English vocabulary at that time and my grammar was terrible; I never felt that English is really hard to learn. I just use simple words and put them in a sentence which I think is easily understood. That's all. =)

Different people will have different ways in developing their language skill. As for me, I have trained myself from the beginning to read English fairy tales before I went to bed (the same books over and over again), listen to English songs although I did not understand each word and speak English language as often as I can. Due to the exposure and daily practices at the early age, I can recognize numbers of English vocabulary unconsciously as I grow up. This is highlighted by Riegler & Riegler (2008) who stated that people with more training showed better overall retention of the language gained over the life span. What I am trying to say here is, learning English is not that difficult as long as we have the passion to practice using the language as often as we can. Train ourselves:

  • to read more English texts i.e. magazines, newspapers, articles, advertisements, etc.
  • to listen to English songs for the purpose of learning how to pronounce the words correctly.
  • to speak English with family members, friends, teachers, neighbors or anyone whom we feel comfortable speaking with.

Do not feel offended by those who laugh at you, ask them what makes them laugh at the first place. Ask for their clarification if you are uncertain of what you are saying!



There is always a room for improvement for learners

The end. Thank you! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment